Professor& Department Head, Department of Maritime Administration
Texas A&M Galveston
Dr. Joan P. Mileski is a tenured Professor in Maritime Administration and of Marine Science and the Head of the Maritime Administration Department at Texas A & M University at Galveston (TAMUG). She holds a PhD in International Management Studies from the University of Texas at Dallas, a M.S. in Taxation from Pace University and B.B.A in Accounting from the University of Notre Dame. She has vast hotel industry experience with Hyatt and Westin Hotels as the Director of Taxation and transportation experience with Union Tank Car Corporation. She has also been a Certified Public Accountant for 34 years. She has been awarded several grants including from the U.S. and Texas Department of Transportation, has teaching and international research awards, and publishes in Research in Transportation Business & Management, Marine Policy, Maritime Policy and Management, The International Journal of Public Administration, and Corporate Governance: The International Journal of Business in Society and presents with the International Association of Maritime Economists, Academy of International Business, the Academy of Management, and the Strategic Management Society. Her research activities currently include the impact of national and supranational (EU, NAFTA) regulation change on the Maritime Industry firms’ competitive strategy including maritime security regulations and on the importance of disaster preparedness of transportation infrastructure. She is a Fulbright research scholar alumnae, an annual visiting Professor at the World Maritime University and the immediate past President of the Women in the Academy of International Business.
- Ph.D., University of Texas at Dallas, 2000.
- M.S., Pace University, 1983.
- B.B.A., University of Notre Dame, 1979.
- 2014 to present: Head of Department of Maritime Administration Texas A & M University at Galveston
- 2014 to present: Professor in Maritime Administration
- 2011 to present: Visiting Professor, World Maritime University
Awarded tenure upon joining Texas A & M University. Teacher in statistics, organizational behavior, strategy, and global economics for undergraduate majors. Member of graduate faculty and teaches graduate environmental economics, international maritime strategy and global trade.
- MARA 610 International Strategic Planning and Implementation
- MARA 641 Financial Management in Marine Transportation
- MARA 658 Port Design, Plan, and Security
- Joan Mileski and Wyndylyn von Zharen, The Wicked Problem of Seaport Resilience, accepted at the 14th World Conference on Transport Research, 10-15 July, 2016, Shanghai, China.
- Joan Mileski and Wyndylyn von Zharen, Wicked Problems in the Maritime and Marine Environment, Accepted for presentation at the World Congress on Oceans, China, November, 2015.
- Joan Mileski, Wyndylyn von Zharen, and A. Rivard. All Abroad: The Wicked Problem of Marine Spatial Planning, 10th Annual AITNER Conference, Athens Greece, May, 2015 paper presented and under review for publication.
- Joan Mileski, Wyndylyn von Zharen and Lawrence Ghoram, Cooperation among Stakeholders for a Preventative and Responsive Maritime Disaster System: A Solution to the Arctic Wicked Problem, 2015 IAME proceedings, August, 2015.
- Cassia Galvao, Joan Mileski, and Wyndylyn von Zharen, Port Sophistication and Country Economic Status: If We Build It, Will They Come? 2015 IAME proceedings, August, 2015.
- Cassia Bomer Galvao, Grace Wang, and Joan Mileski, Identifying public-private interests and conflicts in current port practices, 2015 IAME proceedings, August, 2015.
- Wyndylyn von Zharen and Joan Mileski, “You’ve Come a Long Way, Baby?” Women in the Maritime Industry: Identifying Attitudinal and Structural Impediments,” presented at the 2015 Academy of International Business Annual Conference, India, June 27-30, 2015.
- J. Mileski, M. Mejia and T. Farrell, Making Lemonade out of Lemons: Port Operators’ Perceptions of their Port Security Regulation Compliance, WMU Journal of Maritime Affairs, 14(1), 93-108.
- Joan P Mileski, Grace Wang, L. Lamar Beacham, “Understanding the causes of recent cruise ship mishaps and disasters, Research in Transportation Business and Management 13(2014) 65- 70.
- 2005 Nomination for University Writing Center Teaching Award
- 2002 Robert Griswold Excellence in Teaching Award
- Leadership Positions In Professional Organizations (Since Associate At Tamug)
- 2011-2013 President of the Women Division of the Academy of International Business (WAIB)
- 2009-2010 Vice President of the Women Division of the Academy of International Business (WAIB)
Program Chairs (Since Associate At Tamug)
- Co-Chair, Communications Committee, the International Association of Maritime Economists, jointly hosted with Old Dominion University, Dalhousie University, and Texas A & M University at Galveston, Norfolk, VA 2014
- Program Chair for the Maritime Education Summit Conference held March 13-15, 2011; responsible for all abstracts, scheduling and classifying sessions; arranged accommodations and ground transportation for all participants.
Governmental Board Service (since Associate at TAMUG)
- 2009 to present: Member of the Research Management Committee 2, Texas Department of Transportation
Other Service To Academic Societies (Since Associate at TAMUG)
- Reviewer for International Association of Maritime Universities Journal, 2011 to present
- Reviewer for World Maritime University “Journal of Maritime Affairs,” 2011 to present
- Reviewer for Corporate Governance Journal, 2008 to present
- Reviewer for Academy of International Business, 2005 to present
- Reviewer for Academy of Management – Business Policy and Strategy, Organization Management and Theory, and International divisions, 2005 to present
- Reviewer for International Association of Maritime Economists conference, 2012 to present
Professional Society Memberships
- Academy of Management, 1993 to present
- Academy of International Business, 1993 to present
- Women in the Academy of International Business 2003 to present
- Strategic Management Society, 1993 to present
- New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants, 1980 to present
- International Maritime Lecturers’ Association, 2011 to present
- International Transportation Management Association, 2011 to present
- International Association of Maritime Economists, 2012 to present
- Women in Shipping and Transportation Association (WISTA), 2012 to present